Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Avery's Art Project

I have been wanting to work with Avery for some time now to create artwork for his room. Since moving in, a year ago, we haven't focused on putting up pictures and artwork and I really want his room to be his own space - somewhere he can go for inspiration. This project is great for nearly any age. I had so much fun with him that I want to make one of my own! Here's the details...




Below are the materials you will need:
  • Canvas boards - whichever size you prefer, and however many you want to make
  • Painters Tape -  We used two different widths 
  • Foam brush
  • Acrylic paint - Be sure to use a variation of colors

I was able to start the beginning stages without Avery, so I did the prep work the night before we painted. I started with taking different widths of painters tape and running them in different directions across the canvas. Be sure to gently press the edges (I used my fingernail) to be sure they stick to the canvas. You want to make sure the paint doesn't bleed through and and leave you with funky lines. I also painted the entire board with white acrylic paint as another guard against bleeding paint.










































Once the paint dries (approx. 1 hour), it was Avery's turn! We started with the darkest color first using the foam brush.




After that, we implemented a lighter blue to give the colors some contrast. I even added a little white to lighten it up a bit and to make them stand apart even more.

We took a snack break in between the second and third colors. When he wanted to paint again we focused mostly on the third color and this time decided to use his hands. I wanted to make sure almost all of the white canvas was covered so we would distinctly be able to see the white lines. He had such a blast with this part!




























Let it dry a good 1 - 2 hours before peeling off the tape to reveal your child's masterpiece!









































He was so proud of his artwork and kept pointing to them saying "I did it!" Made me so happy. 

1 comment:

  1. That is very nice! letting kids express themselves is so important, really nice artwork!

    ReplyDelete