Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Evolution of Giant Tumbling Blocks!

So, no surprise here but my sister was so amazing with helping my mom plan and execute my bridal and baby showers over the past few years, that I wanted to return the favor. She decided to go with a bbq/summer picnic theme and the day couldn't have been nicer.  
  

My mother-in-law works for a linen company and her and her employer were extremely generous in allowing us to use these beautiful red and white gingham table cloths that fit right in theme. We incorporated a little DIY and spray painted a variety of glass bottles then filled them with wild flowers. It really helped tie the entire look together.


My father created a horse shoe pit in the backyard since it is a huge pastime in my brother-in-law to be's family. There was also lots of basketball, some fun chalk drawing competitions and a few beer pong games and keg stands at the end of the night.








































I wanted my gift to represent the day. Something special. Something that was both practical and fun. It needed to have thought behind it and I felt the need to custom make whatever I decided on. Pinterest was extremely resourceful when it came to selecting the right gift.

I settled on a life size (giant) set of Tumbling Blocks.....

To understand why Tumbling Blocks was the right gift, you need to understand Kelli and Pat. They are fun and outgoing. They work hard and play hard. They are selfless and caring, and we love them both.

We decided to go with the 72 piece (4 foot) version.  Keith began by cutting 8 2x4's into 72 10 1/2 pieces.  I then sanded them down using a 220 grit paper (if you do this, make sure you where a dust mask) to make sure the surface is smooth. Nobody likes splinters and it makes the blocks slide better!




























As opposed to the traditional signing board or book, Kelli and Pat's guests signed the blocks with their well wishes.



Happy Engagement and best of luck to the guests of honor!


Thanks to Studio Three Photo for all of the great pictures!

Your own Giant Tumbling Blocks set can be purchased here.

No comments:

Post a Comment