Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Transformation Tuesday: Coffee Table

I found this coffee table at a church tag sale in our town covered by a huge pile of hand-me-down clothes they had on sale.  Protruding from underneath the garment heap were those beautiful wooden legs (insert Pirate joke here).  This sale turned into a gold mine as I scooped up a side table for my living room and a dresser for the guest room as well.


My original idea was to paint the table all black for a chic, clean look.  I wiped the table with a cloth and got down to it. I used Paint Minerals and mixed in some black paint I had left over from our front door project (more on that at another time). It was really easy to mix - All that was needed was to  add the ingredients to a mason jar and shake it for a few minutes until it exhibited a smooth consistency.


After all that paint and a little bit of distressing, this is what the table looked like. Not at all what I had envisioned. It was neither sleek or distressed enough and I wasn't feeling the black, but hey, that's what refurb and DIY is all about right?  Trial and error.


Back to drawing board I went. Since there was a layer of paint on top of a thick layer of poly, I used the lowest grit sandpaper I had in my garage. 60 worked well and within an hour and a half, the top was clean and back to it's beautiful raw state.




This table had beautiful grain and knots that needed to be shown off. I already had Minwax Walnut stain sitting in the garage which was leftover from out dining room table.  I loved how it made the grain pop.  After the stain dried overnight, I lightly sanded down the legs with 220 grit to give it a distressed look.




 A little wax to seal it all and voila! 

This guy is up on the Etsy page for sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment